Summer Job Opportunities for 2013 (All Positions Filled)
Summer job opportunities are available for college age persons at Westview on the James. You can make a positive difference in the life of a child and make a positive difference in your own life as well. Camp can mean life long friendships, enrichment of your own spiritual journey, offer new challenges and adventures and give you valuable work experience. Regardless of your college major or current profession, camp experiences allow you to learn and develop skills that enhance your job marketability.
Cool Factoid: Business executives often note that the camp counselor experience translates into excellent management and personnel skills.
Interested persons should have:
- A love of children, of the outdoors, and a willingness to share your faith with others.
- Ability to work as a member of a group
- A desire to contribute to the achievement of the objectives of the camp program.
- Good health and vitality
Term of Employment and Benefits:
- Employment Dates: June 8th (Saturday at 10a.m.) through August 9th. This includes staff training week June 8th-14th. We also offer Certification and training opportunities May 29th-June 8th. Learn or improve your skills to canoe, climb, mountain bike, mountain board, take lifeguard training and more. Staff also participate in an online video course to help prepare for camp life.
- Time Off: Fridays after staff meeting at 9:00 p.m. until Sunday at 2:00 p.m. If you need time off for family vacation plans, a friends wedding or school orientation you can take this time with Director's prior approval.
- Room and Board: Lodging and meals provided during the weeks of camp that you work. Lodging available to staff on weekends but meals are your responsibility.
- Salary: First year Senior staff: $210 per week. Adventure camp staff (minimum age 21) $225 per week. Additional $$$ for returning staff and skill certifications.
- Skill Certifications: Opportunity to add skill certifications to your resume; First Aid, CPR, Lifeguard Training, Wilderness First Aid, Archery, Watercraft, High Ropes and Belaying Skills.
- Staff Shirt: Stylish and exclusively for camp staff.
Cool Factoid: Resident Camp staff tend to bank more money because of fewer expenses.
Current Job Opportunities
- Group Counselors - The overriding reason children and youth return year after year to Westview is the caring, listening counselor staff. Live, listen and share experiences with a group of 10 to 14 campers with a co-counselor and help each camper thrive in camp life. Minimum age of 18 with a year of college (camp experience will be considered)
- Activity Specialists - Waterfront Director, Nature Director, Crafts Director, High Ropes Director. Share the joy of these specific activities with children and youth. Certifications and training offered. We will help you be successful. Minimum age of 18. Create a fun and enjoyable activity environment where campers and staff learn and dare to be creative.
- Junior Counselors - . Assist Group Counselors and Activity Specialists in providing fun and friendships in a Christian environment for campers. Willingness, with a smile to assist wherever needed to strengthen the quality of Westview's camp program. This includes daily work projects and dining hall duties. Minimum age is 15 as of January 1st of the upcoming summer.
- Adventure Counselors - Leadership and guidance of 8 to 12 campers with a co-counselor on adventures off-site. Knowledge and skills in outdoor camping and cooking with skills in canoeing and backpacking. Adventure loving and safety conscious individuals are key to this exciting program. Minimum age is 21 with at least one year of resident camp experience or other organized leadership responsibility. Good driving record required. Counselors take part in additional week of training which includes Wilderness First-Aid, Lifeguard Training and driver training.